Bureau of Administrative and Support Services (BASS)
The Bureau of Administrative and Support Services is comprised of most of the Department’s civilian personnel as well as some sworn employees.
- Criminal Justice Information Services
- Information Technology and Planning
- Human Resources
- Property and Logistics
- Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS) Program
Employees in these areas provide the Department, especially troopers and special agents in the field, with essential services through their extensive technical and professional expertise. These services range from:
- Purchasing and configuring personal computers...to designing complex and sophisticated computerized systems to maintain critical criminal files;
- Installing police radios and radars in patrol vehicles...to designing and implementing a Computer-Aided Dispatch System;
- Employing a qualified and diversified work force...to managing an exciting volunteer program;
- Managing and maintaining Department buildings and grounds across the State...to preparing, monitoring, and accounting for the Department’s annual budget;
- Providing criminal justice agencies with rapid access to local, state and national files...to supervising Virginia’s Firearms Transaction Program;
- Ensuring that all sworn employees meet mandated training requirements...to overseeing the State’s Drug Resistance Education Program (DARE); and
- Conducting research into innovative law enforcement techniques and products...to coordinating the Department’s accreditation and grant management programs.
The Bureau also develops and proposes legislation involving traffic safety and criminal statutes, serves as liaison during General Assembly sessions for discussion of issues, and maintains and distributes the Department’s Policy and Procedures Manual as well as other important bulletins and operating procedures.