Your Rights if Denied the Purchase of a Firearm
IF YOU ARE DENIED THE PURCHASE OR PAWN REDEMPTION OF A FIREARM and do not believe that you are prohibited by state or federal law from purchasing or possessing a firearm, you may:
- Contact the FTC at (804) 674-2292 to discuss the ineligible determination and/or to provide additional information deemed pertinent to the final determination of eligibility.
- Contact the FTC at Email address firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the ineligible determination and/or to provide additional information deemed pertinent to the final determination of eligibility. Fingerprint comparison may be necessary in some instances, and may support the issuance of a Unique Firearms Identification Number (UFIN) to facilitate future purchase approvals. See our firearm brochure.
- Review your criminal history record and request correction of the record if the record is found to be in error, pursuant to VA Code § 9.1-132, provided that any such action is initiated within 30 days of the denial. You may obtain a copy of your Virginia criminal history record by completion of a Criminal History Record Request Form SP-167. This form can be viewed, downloaded and/or printed by visiting the Virginia State Police Forms page. This form is also available by calling or writing the following:
Virginia State Police
Criminal Justice Information Services Division
Central Criminal Records Exchange
P. O. Box C-85076
Richmond, VA 23261-5076
Phone: (804) 674-2131
The completed form may be mailed to the above address or presented in person during regular business hours to:
Virginia State Police Administrative Headquarters
7700 Midlothian Turnpike
- Exercise your right to institute a civil action pursuant to VA Code § 9.1-135, provided that any such action is initiated within 30 days of the denial.
- Elect to direct your challenge to the accuracy of a record, in writing, to: FBI, NICS Operations Center, Criminal Justice Information Services Division, 1000 Custer Hollow Road, Module C-3, Clarksburg, West Virginia 26306-0147. Electronically submitted appeal requests must be made through the NICS Appeal Website at http://www.fbi.gov/nics-appeals. This process of appeal is authorized by 28 CFR 25.10.
To request a copy of your criminal record from a state other than Virginia, you must communicate directly with that state authority for receipt, update, or correction purposes.
If you are denied the right to purchase a firearm because you have been convicted of a felony as described in VA Code § 18.2-308.2, you may still be eligible to purchase a firearm if your rights have been restored under both state and federal law, see Restoration of Firearm Rights.