How Do I …

Below are answers to common questions about law enforcement services, programs, DMV crash reports, criminal history reports / state police reports, and regulations.

How do I submit a FOIA request?

I’m looking for information about concealed carry permits.

I’ve been in a vehicle accident. How do I get a copy of my crash report?

Below are answers to common questions about law enforcement services, programs, DMV crash reports, criminal history reports, and regulations.

How do I submit a FOIA request?

You may request records from the Department by U.S. mail, fax, email, in person, or over the phone. Learn more on our FOIA page >>

I’m looking for information about concealed carry permits.

Virginia Resident Concealed Handgun Permits are issued by the circuit court of the county or city in which the applicant resides. Please contact the applicable court for specific instruction on the application process. Learn more on our Firearms page >>

How do I find out if my state’s concealed handgun permit is recognized in Virginia?

Although the law requires Virginia to grant recognition to all states that issue permits, those states may not authorize Virginia permit holders to possess a firearm in their state. Prior to traveling citizens should contact a representative of the state they intend to travel through to determine if that state will recognize their Virginia resident or nonresident concealed carry permit, or visit that state’s website for guidance. Learn more >>

How can I get fingerprinted for a background check?

The Virginia State Police conducts fingerprinting at its headquarters, 7700 Midlothian Turnpike, North Chesterfield, VA 23235 and at its Division and Area offices. Call the Division or area office to ensure the correct time and location.

How do I get a copy of my criminal history?

There are two methods of obtaining a Virginia criminal history record check. This will entail Virginia conviction data only. Learn more >>

How do I get my criminal record expunged?

Further information pertaining to the expungement process may be obtained from the Department of State Police at (CCRE) (804) 674-6723

I’m looking for information about purchasing a firearm.

If you are considering firearm ownership in the Commonwealth, please review our Firearm FAQ.

I’ve been in a vehicle accident. How do I get a copy of my crash report?

The Department of Motor Vehicles maintains the official record of all reportable crashes occurring within the Commonwealth. Learn more >>

My vehicle was towed/impounded. Where can I find it? Is there a charge?

Please call your closest division office. There is normally a fee associated with retrieval.

Who is authorized to use HOV lanes?

You can read about Virginia’s HOV lane rules on the Virginia Department of Transportation website.

I was in an accident, but did not contact law enforcement at the time of the crash. I would like to file a claim with my insurance company, but I need a crash report. Can I contact a state trooper to have a crash report written now?

If your vehicle has been removed from the scene, and no original report of the incident was made to the Virginia State Police, a crash report documenting and identifying any damage cannot be made by this agency. A report of the incident can be made directly to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles through form number FR-200 (Voluntary Report of a Crash) if it meets the reporting criteria. The form can be accessed from the DMV website.

I was driving behind a truck, when a rock fell out of the back and struck my windshield. Can I take any action?

If a rock strikes your windshield, the company may be responsible for the damage. You must be able to prove the rock came from the truck’s load and not from the roadway. Photographic and video evidence could assist with proving how the damage occurred. Needed is the vehicle description, complete license plate number, and driver description if this information can be safely obtained. If prosecution is contemplated it would be up to the party involved to obtain the warrant/summons and testify in court.

Is emissions testing required? Where can I get it done?

Emission inspections are required for certain vehicles registered or operated primarily in Northern Virginia, including the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William and Stafford, and the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas and Manassas Park. To find an inspection station, visit the Department of Environmental Quality.

How do I know if there is a sex offender living in my area?

The Virginia State Police has not considered or assessed the specific risk of re-offense with regard to any individual prior to his or her inclusion within this registry, and has made no determination that any individual included in the registry is currently dangerous. The main purpose of providing this data on the internet is to make the information more easily available and accessible, not to warn citizens about any specific individual. Learn more >>

Where is my local VSP office?

Our local offices can be found on our office location page >>

I’m looking for information about Virginia’s child restraint law.
How do I move an unregistered vehicle from one location to another?

A DMV trip permit may allow you to move your unregistered car, trailer, or semitrailer. Find out more on the DMV website.

How do I file a complaint?

The Virginia State Police values feedback from the public and is committed to investigating any complaints. You may file a complaint by downloading the form to mail or turn in at a Virginia State Police facility.

I’m looking for information on surplus vehicle auctions.

Surplus vehicles are auctioned off by the Department of General Services.

I’m looking for information about transferring a firearm as a gift.

Please contact the Firearms Transaction Center at (804) 674-2292.

How can I prepay my traffic ticket? What if I’ve lost my ticket?

If you have lost your traffic ticket (summons) or do not know the jurisdiction in which the summons was issued, you may use the Online Case Information System-Statewide Search to search statewide using your name.

I have witnessed a crime or been a victim of a crime. What assistance is available to me?

As a victim of or a witness to a crime in Virginia, you do have certain rights. Find out more at the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services

How can I get a copy of a VSP policy?

Any request for a copy of a VSP policy must be made as a FOIA request. Find out more about the FOIA process >>

How do I report a missing person or a missing child?

To report a missing person, please contact your local law enforcement agency or State Police office.

Where can I find Virginia’s missing persons cases?

Pictures and descriptions of Virginia’s missing can be found on our website. If you have information regarding a case, we encourage you to reach out to your local law enforcement agency or State Police office.

Can all-terrain vehicles or off-road motorcycles be licensed for street use in Virginia?

Operation of all-terrain vehicles on any public highway or other private property is prohibited by Virginia State Code § 46.2-915.1, unless authorized by proper authorities, to the extent necessary to cross a public highway by the most direct route, or operated by law-enforcement officers, firefighters, or emergency medical services responding to emergencies.

Can VSP make changes to my vehicle registration or driver’s license?

Changes to your vehicle registration or driver’s license must be made through DMV.