The goal of Virginia Motor Vehicle Safety Inspectors is to assure all Virginia registered vehicles are mechanically safe to operate over the highways of the Commonwealth.
Inspection Station Portal:
Safety Inspector Questions:
Telephone: (804) 278-5307
Safety Inspector Application Forms
- Safety Inspector Certification Instructions
- SP-170(B) Revised 8-1-2020 – Safety Inspector Application
- Safety Inspector Applicant Worksheet
- SP-170(D) – Authorization for Release of Information
- Instructions for Completing the Criminal History
- Example Form – SP-167
- Criminal History Form (SP-167)
- Safety Inspector License Testing Sites
- Inspector Notification Form
Safety Inspector Examination Study Guides
- Safety Inspector Examination Study Guide – Class A
- Safety Inspector Examination Study Guide – Class B (Trailers)
- Safety Inspector Examination Study Guide – Class C (Motorcycle)
Where can I get a copy of the Virginia Official Safety Inspection Manual?
You may request a copy by mail or in person from:
Mailing address: Department of State Police, Safety Division, P. O. Box 27472, Richmond, VA 23261-7472
Office address: Department of State Police, Safety Division, 3719 Saunders Avenue, Richmond, VA 23227
The cost is $20.00 (no shipping or handling). The purchase of inspection manuals at our office is by Discover, MasterCard, or VISA only and purchases by mail include payment by money orders, company checks, Discover, MasterCard, or VISA. Personal checks are not accepted.